Thursday, February 10, 2011

Insulate

Recently I made our ice cold garage a little warmer. Actually it stays above freezing now. What did I do? I insulated.

First, I insulated the metal garage door by stuffing the panels with glass insulation then covering that with a moisture resistant plywood about three-sixteenths of an inch thick. It was actually underlayment for vinyl floors. You can buy it at Home Depot. This was installed with sheet metal screws. Then I adjusted the door opener for more weight.

Then I insulated the garage attic with R-19 unfaced glass insulation which I bought at Home Depot for 22 cents per square foot. I sealed off the ends of the cells between ceiling joists by placing insulation between the joists. After that I laid the insulation across the joists butting it firmly batten to batten. The result was a much warmer garage.

The total cost for materials was $190. Now my garage will serve as a warm shop in the winter and will be much cooler in the summer. I'd say this is a good investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment